Thursday, April 19th, 2012...1:03 pm

Thanks for the Memories

Jump to Comments

by Brittany Rende

“Hey, it’s that Rec girl” or “Oh My God, you were the reason we lost our game last week” have become frequent phrases directed at me over my last four years here. I would like to think that I’ve become a staple of the Rec and would really like to think that it will fall apart without me. But I know that’s not true.

I have spent more time out on Busch, in the MAC or on Miller than I would care to think about sometimes, and I’m sure my parents would like to think I spend an equal amount of time in Swem. There have been supervisors over the years that remember the moments, the games that mattered to them; however, in my reminiscing I remember the people a little better.

Every participant in Intramural sports generally will have met me, heard me, heard about me, gotten an email from me, or thought flattery would get them a win in their next game. I apologize for not remembering all of your names or faces, but you all have had an impact on me. I have become a better person, grown as a referee, and have garnered quite a few interviews for stories. I might have been the only scorekeeper to ever eject anyone from an IM basketball game and quite possibly the only supervisor to issue a yellow card at a soccer game while I wasn’t reffing. These aren’t the moments I’ll carry with me. I’ll carry the friendships I’ve gained from working here and the inspiring experiences of teams in the 3rd overtime of a playoff game. I’ll remember the laughs on the sideline, the coercion to try and get a better sportsmanship rating, the moaning about showing IDs, the screaming over the rules. It’s the little things that I’m going to miss. It’s not the 85 foot game winning shot or the missed penalty shot to lose a game that I’ll remember 10 years from now. Ok, well maybe those, too, will stick with me. I’ve learned a lot about myself from working with all of you: how loud I am, how assertive I am, how nice I am, how mean I am, my limits, my goals, and so much more.

I guess what I’m trying to say is as I close out my Intramural career tonight I want to say thank you to everyone who made it worth it and even the ones who pushed me to my limits. I’m going to miss all of you and I hope in a way “that Rec girl” is missed a little too.