Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013...4:35 pm

The Winter Blues

Jump to Comments

by Maren Hunsberger

So winter can be a little rough. I love the holidays, winter break, and cozy snow weather just as much as the next girl, but the 30-degree weather we’ve been having lately has been difficult to bear.  Where are the 70-degree temperatures we had before break?  Winter seriously affects my groove.  With the days getting darker and colder, it just happens that some of us start to operate at a lower level of happy during the winter.

It’s hard enough to make ourselves get out of bed and study, much less get out of the dorm (or house) to go for a run or come to the gym. In my experience, this turns into a vicious cycle. The more I don’t get out and move, the grumpier I get and the less I want to get out and move. The transformation that occurs after I get my butt out of bed and go to the gym for a class or go for nice long run in the woods is incredible. I’m immediately happier, more energized, more likely to smile, and much more motivated to do anything else that needs to be done.

Though this cycle holds true for any time of the year, it is especially true in the winter. So how do we keep our spirits up during the desolately cold wasteland of January and February? We come to the REC and get sweaty! Maybe it’s a group class where we can dance and laugh and shake off our winter blues, maybe it’s a solid, solitary treadmill workout, but whatever it is, it’ll put a smile on our faces and get our lives moving again.